Alongside reading books, I’m a huge fan of TV and for some reason, I always seem to be piling on more TV shows to watch. Currently, I am reading Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl which I’m loving so far because Anne is such a relatable teen. There’s no extra flourishes which you might see in some books with a WWII drop, it’s just a normal girl narrating her thoughts. Now on to the shows I’m watching, here’s a whole list of shows I’ve finished watching, am watching and plan to watch. P.S. there will be spoilers.
Shows I’ve Finished Watching
- The Office (US): I bought the box-set for a bargain price at iTunes but I’m not sure if the deal is still active. I loved this show. I will admit that the quality declined after Michael’s departure. As much as I loved Jim & Pam, Michael and his exploits where what I looked forward to most and Jim & Pam stopped doing pranks together after a while which was heart-breaking. Jim & Pam are my OTP, but Michael and Holly are a close second. Holly is amazing, she’s fun, quirky and warm! Anybody else feel like Jim at first but, once you open up, the Michael Scott side unleashes? By the way, they were not lying when they said Michael was an idiot (but charming) extraordinaire. All the characters are a delight except Ryan, but B. J. Novak did write the best episodes.
- America’s Next Top Model (Cycle 24): Right, I know everyone thinks that Khrystyana was robbed. Overall, she was the most deserving winner but we’re also forgetting that the winner of ANTM has their photo displayed (something like that) by Pantene and Pantene obviously liked Kyla’s photo best as she won best photo on that episode. You know that when a brand is sponsoring the show, that’s the one you absolutely need to win. Anybody else notice how much kinder and tolerant Tyra was this year? This is my favourite Tyra. Before, a contestant had to be open and feminine and I felt that Tyra was less accepting of quirks and the more reserved contestants. This year, also, there seems to be a much better approach to mental health with priorities focused on mental health over the competition. Bonus, I love Shanasty and her dance moves.
- Santa Clarita Diet (Season 2): I loved the first season and while the second season wasn’t as amazing as the first, I still enjoyed it. The premise is hilarious, and we discover that Sheila (Drew Barrymore) isn’t the only one who’s undead and what is creating this massive problem. Abby is really coming into her own, I disagreed with the physical fighting, but she definitely sets a good example by standing up for those who are being bullied. That ending was insane, definitely the funniest moment which makes me excited for the third season. The show is available on Netflix!
- The Big Bang Theory (Season 11): Ah, finally, Sheldon and Amy got married. I felt that there was a lot more extravagance on the show’s part for Shamy’s wedding than other previous weddings. I quite enjoyed this season and it was much better than last season, but I felt like it was lacking in terms of potential. What is happening to Howard? He’s even quieter than Stuart now. I much prefer Howard over Sheldon, I’d want to slap Sheldon in real life, and they’re doing my boy all sorts of wrongs. I’d prefer more focus on Amy than Sheldon, I find her to be the most intelligent and well-rounded character. If they do come back with season 12, they need to focus on all the characters and not just a select few. Otherwise, I cannot tell you how EXCITED I was to see Shamy social experimenting again!
- New Girl (Season 7): I am down to the final episode and I am not looking forward to concluding this series. First, they take away Phoebe and Chandler, now they take away my Winnie the Bish? How dare you? There are not a lot of eccentric characters left on TV! Don’t say Jess is an eccentric character, she’s just straight-up annoying. I love her work personality, but her normal self tries too hard to be quirky. She’s also the type to make someone’s funeral all about herself, oh wait… she already did (slight narcissism, dude)! Ironically, funerals aside, my sister keeps comparing me to her and I HATE it. I really loved watching Cece and Winston do pranks together, and Coach and Winston is my OTB and are way better than Nick and Schmidt who are basically mother and son, let’s be honest. My favourite romances on the show are Winston & Ally and Coach & May but… Jess & Nick’s wedding was really cute. Jess walked down the hospital aisle to the song Nick and Jess first danced together to: ‘Groovy Kind of Love.’ I will not lie, tears were shed.
- Catfish: Here and there. I just discovered this show recently and I’m loving it. Max is more of a realist and pretty traditional in his views, but I LOVE him, he’s my favourite. I have a huge crush on him. Nev is much more optimistic, sees the best in people and believes in second chances. Strangely, the more I look at him, the more I realise that I look like Nev just with long hair (without the facial hair either).
- Modern Family (Season 9): I’m down to the last episode for this season and it has been one of my favourite seasons. Little Jay is so funny and mischievous! Where is Lily though?? She makes an appearance every few episodes, it’s like Cam and Mitch have forgotten they have a daughter? Gloria is funny as ever, of course, as is Jay who’s one of my favourites; these two are consistently good. Luke also has much more potential, I’d love to see more of him. The best part of this season has been Haley’s romance with the professor who I’m rooting for! It’s a classic beauty and the geek trope but it’s done really well, and they are an adorable pair. We also saw a return of exes when Haley was in hospital which meant we saw… ANDY! OMG, Andy is so dreamy, sweet and cuddly.
- The Goldbergs (Season 5): I am soon to watch the last episode of this season. If you are a big fan of the 80’s (plenty of 80’s films coverage: The Goonies, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, etc) and family-centric comedy, you will LOVE this show. The family is a ragtag bunch and the characters are so endearing in their respective ways. We have a mother smother, grumpy dad, theatre-geek main character, too cool for school sister, good-time grandpa and, best of all, BARRY GOLDBERG who is like baby Michael Scott and I’m rooting for him all the way because no character has captured my secondary school self like Barry Goldberg. I’m also rooting for Barry and Lainey to get back together in the final episode… come on class clown and cheerleader!
- Made in Chelsea: Ah, I LOVE reality TV shows. This season hasn’t been the best because some of the posh oldies are no longer there like Queen Lucy Watson, Binky, Spencer, etc. But Louise, Jamie, Mark Francis and Victoria have remained. Sophie Hermann, the German no-filter gangster, has returned and I’m all for it. I love that this season found time to focus on Louise’s public-speaking fears and I was disappointed that a lot of people criticised her on Twitter for crying about speaking to just over ten people in a room which is minimising and belittling how difficult it can be to live with anxiety. How are people not seeing how controlling Digby? It’s as if everyone thinks it’s better to be in a relationship with an emotionally abusive man than to be single. And who cares if he looks like Bradley Cooper? I wasn’t surprised to find that Liv has a crush on Mytton, the chemistry is apparent, but I always thought that he’s more interested in Jess. I love the idea of Sam Thompson and Habbs together, I think she’s lovely and Sam is so relatable. He reminds me of me: when he likes someone, I’m not talking specifically relationships, he’s not very inhibited with affection but if he senses it’s not reciprocated, we slowly fade away. We won’t persist where we’re not wanted.
- Love Island (Season 1): I started watching this show when it rose to popularity with the last season thanks to the increasing influence of social media and when it was finally available on Netflix, I started watching straight away. I’ll have to be honest, this is one of the few shows that manages to retain my attention. I think how Jess is being treated is really unfair. “Slag” is a strong word and it shouldn’t be used as a joke, we definitely should not normalise that word. Max is such a gentleman and he, so far, is the best guy on the show. Omar gives me the creeps. I thought Rachel was classy for maintaining her dignity and principles and she deserves better. I quite fancied Chris as well, I sometimes find guys who look a little mean really attractive. Don’t ask why, it’s an unexplained mystery.
- 13 Reasons Why (Season 2): I’ve only watched two episodes so far and let me tell you, this season has an even more grim and disoriented feel to it as if all the characters are disconnected from their surroundings. It is making it clear that people do not move on easy from losing someone to suicide. The trial is progressing, and this is the most interesting part as I’m eager to know more about how this will play out. But I don’t know who Hannah’s mother is suing? I’m guessing it’s the school? I believe the school is at fault (Bryce too, OF COURSE) for its negligent behaviour towards its students especially Mr Porter. Please don’t tell me this is unrealistic, I am a supporter of the importance of education and teachers but that doesn’t mean all teachers are free from faults. Some are horrendous. Really horrendous. And poor Jessica. It’s so sad what is happening to her. She was away for a bit and, once she returned, she finds that the facts have been twisted against her and in support of Bryce. Now, students are saying Jessica claimed she was raped because she didn’t want anyone to know that she cheated on Justin. Justin needs to come back and clarify but more importantly people need to stop jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts. I am intrigued to see what happens this season.
- The Crown: I watched the first episode because I’m sure some of you know how hyped this show was. The first episode was really slow but I’m hoping it perks up as the show progresses. I’m a massive fan of Queenie, she’s just WOW. I remember reading on Quora that when a Saudi Arabian leader visited the Queen, she took him for a ride in full speed which is ironic because of the driving ban that was placed on women in SA. To add to this, she had to attend a radio show and her displeasure was so apparent as you could see from the single clap that was elicited from her once the performance was finished. My girl clapped once. ONCE.
- The White Queen: Thanks to Phillipa Gregory’s novels on the Plantagenets, I am interested in watching the show to discover more about them. I especially love Jacquetta Woodville and I’m unsure what to think of Richard III at the moment because of the case of the missing princes in the Tower.
- Black Mirror: The first episode from the first season was a bag full of vomit. Truly disgusting. The second episode was just meh, but I’m intrigued to watch the rest of the show.
- Victoria: Boy, am I interested in female monarchs. I don’t know much about Queen Victoria although I do remembering those little history books for children on Queen Victoria and it was my favourite from the series.
- Impractical Jokers: I’m waiting for the seventh season to return to Comedy Central. I remember watching bits of the seventh season somewhere and it’s as good as ever. I’m worried that the show will gain such popularity that the dares and challenges will be impossible to perform in public.
What are your thoughts on these shows? Which shows are you watching or have finished watching? Are you planning to watch anything this year?
Also, do get recommending! I’m pretty much open to anything except for horror (I say that, but I watched Insidious 3 by myself like a lunatic) and Sci-Fi because it can be too hard to keep up with sometimes. If you’re interested in comedy shows, I also made a list of my favourite comedy shows which you can read here.
I normally schedule my posts beforehand, so it feels weird to be writing spontaneously. Also, excuse my hangry-ness. Snickers were really right when they said, “you’re not you when you’re hungry.” I’m ready to pounce on anyone who’s being mildly irritable. I miss food. Hope Ramadan is going well for my Muslim followers.
Connect With Me: